Beautiful Dollbaby

Beautiful Dollbaby
Our Angel in Heaven

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Closure

So to help balance out my angry post, I want to post about something positive.  Something hopeful.  I actually wanted to do this Wednesday but I have been sick with a sinus infection and felt to crappy to blog anything.

We went and saw the geneticist on Wednesday.  I learned some things.  One being, ask your doctor to actually read your test results to you.  You see, my OB (with good intentions) misread some labs I had done and told me I was positive and homozygous for the C677T MTHFR gene mutation.  She had went on to tell my husband and I that this mutation is commonly linked to 2nd trimester loss and I would most likely be put on blood thinners during future pregnancies.  I looked it up, she was right.  Well, come to find out, she had the gene mutation wrong.  I am actually homozygous for the A1298C MTHFR mutation.  This one is less impactful during pregnancy.  It turns out, I don't have a baby killing gene mutation and was given the WRONG information at my OB appointment a while ago.  Let me tell you, I feel some pretty big relief! My husband gets to be tested for MTHFR because if he has it I still get to be treated, but I can handle that.

In fact, the geneticist went on to say that from the reports it was clear we lost Ashley due to an infection.  And when she discovered how soon I had my appendix out after we lost Ashley even she raised her eyebrows and wonders if I had undiagnosed appendicitis.  She told us that upon testing, EVERYTHING was infected from the placenta, to Ashley, to what fluid was left, to the umbilical cord!  Well... I'm no doctor but I'm placing a bet that I did have appendicitis and no one thought to look into that.  In fact, I'm willing to bet I had it since the beginning of June when I started having random side pains that would prevent me from being able to move that we passed off as pregnancy pains from pulling a muscle or something.  I am fully comfortable saying that I probably had infection growing outside my appendix for a while.  Heck, when we first went in to see if my water broke we were told my white blood count was elevated indicating infection.

So I gained some very important closure in this appointment.  My family had already decided the appendicitis was the culprit, but when I found out I had this gene that it turns out I don't really have, I just wasn't sure.  Now, I'm completely positive that I had undiagnosed appendicitis that caused infection to travel and cause my water to break and us to loose Ashley.  So I'm really glad it's gone.  Sure, I'll still be one paranoid momma in the next pregnancy, but now I won't have to worry about my appendix coming back.

So while my husband still needs some testing done and I still have some female issues to get fixed before we can get pregnant again, I have some peace of mind.  I don't have a baby killing gene and what happened is a fluke that can't happen again.   Sayanara appendix! Hope you enjoyed your trip to the bio hazard burn center or whatever they do with horrible things like you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name is Heather and I am also a loss Mommy. My son Brody was stillborn on May 28, 2005. I am so sorry that you know this pain...one no mother should ever know. Be gentle with yourself honey. Your loss is still very new. I remember well that first year...

    I would love to tell you it gets better, but honestly, it just becomes more normal. In ways it does get better, but some days it just comes out of nowhere and knocks you down. (((hugs))) Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to talk. My contact info should post with this comment.

    ReplyDelete